Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

Grinch Muffins for Christmas

Hi! Its been a while since I have posted. Were you thinking I was attacked by zombies? Little Liam joined our family in late August and since then I have been busy adjusting to life as a mama of two. Pregnancy was hard and draining and now there is this new little guy who demands even more of my time. Most days I find it hard to find time for sleep let alone time to blog so I do kind of feel as if I have been attacked by zombies. Many days I am the walking dead so I have put much of the "me" activities on hold, promising to return to them when I have time.

I have eased my way back into the kitchen over the last 3 months, starting basic with things like my famous pulled bbq chicken and moving into things that are more "advanced" ie require chopping and maybe even mixing! Now that the holidays are here I have tried to attempt to add some fun back into menu planning so when I got the chance to host the holiday party for B's preschool class today I jumped at the opportunity to make something just a little different.


I had my heart set on serving both a healthy and festive snack since we would be doing cookie decorating at the end of the day and I must say I really love how the Grinch Muffins turned out.

2.5 C flour
1.5 C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 C unsweetened applesauce
1 ripe banana
1 bag of prewashed baby spinach

Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake tins

Blend together spinach, banana and applesauce until smooth (I did this in my food processor). Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl and fold in the liquids until everything is mixed well. Fill muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

While muffins cool prepare fruit:
Strawberries (slice top off)
Bananas
Clementines
Yellow raisins
You can also add an additional slice of kiwi for the face if you want to offer more fruit.

The muffin recipe was adapted from A Little Nosh and The Green Forks

No comments:

Post a Comment