Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

My Roses Smell Like Butter


My mamma has always been a wonderful hostess. She always includes little details in her events that just make it feel so much more special. One of my favorite has always been her butter roses which adorn all of our holiday tables. Over the years, I have worked to recreate her masterpieces and while it took me a while at first I have finally gotten good enough at it that I can carve a couple decent size roses out in under 10 minutes. I know its completely ridiculous, but it’s the little things that make me happy and carrying on my mammas traditions is certainly one of them.


To recreate this look you will need one super cold stick of butter. A serving plate, a butter knife and your garnish of choice (I used rosemary but parsley also works well).

Unwrap the stick of butter and cut one small pat off of the stick to act as a base for each of the roses you are making. I can usually make 2 roses per stick of butter. Place each pat flat on the serving plate several inches apart. Next you will begin to create the petals. Use your butter knife to make thin slice of butter length wise along the stick and slowly curl the butter around your finger molding it into a flower shape, If one of the slices breaks mid fold just stick it back on and continue molding it in a circular fashion until you have achieved the size flower you are looking for. I use about half a stick of butter per flower. Complete the look by garnishing the plate with fresh greenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment