Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Minted Mashed Peas/Soup

Nothing says spring like a beautiful sharp green. I should know this as my name does mean the green of spring. I really do get all giddy when the first flowers begin to push through the ground and we get that vibrant color budding on trees. To celebrate the coming of spring, and those spring holidays, Passover and Easter, I thought I would post one of my favorite easy peasy spring green recipes.
Minted Pea Soup seen here

The first time I served these peas up was to the Mr's family a couple of weeks ago at our Seder dinner. That night I used my original recipe for Minted Mashed Peas which has a much thicker mashed potato consistency and they were found to be an overwhelming success. The dish resembles baby food a bit (which is actually where I got the idea from) but it is absolutely delicious and will surly brighten up any table year round. I froze my extras and used it a week later as this amazing Easter pea soup by adding additional fresh mint and chicken stock. The soup works great as a starter to a nice meal or as a pairing with a spring salad or sandwich.

Original Minted Mashed Peas
2 bags frozen peas
1/2 onion, chopped
1 C Mint, chopped
1/4 C parsley, chopped (optional)
1 C Chicken Stock
1/2 C butter
4 Tbs EVOO
S&P

Heat 2 tbs EVOO and 2 tbs of butter in a large pan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add one bag of frozen peas and season with salt and pepper. When the peas are warmed through pour the mixture into a blender or food processor. Add fresh herbs and slowly add stock until you have achieved a thick soup like texture. Return the original pan to the range and heat the remainder of the EVOO and butter together in the pan. Add second bag of peas and season with salt and pepper. When the peas are cooked through smash them with a potato masher, fork or wooden spoon to break them up a bit. Pour the pureed mixture into the mashed peas and mix everything together. Serve or refrigerate.

Spring Pea Soup

Add
1 C fresh mint
1 Quart good chicken stock
S&P

Add additional chopped mint and chicken stock to the recipe above. If you prefer a less chunky soup you can omit the smashed pea step and just blend the entire batch together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment