Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boil and Broil Sweet Potato Fries


I have been playing around with homemade sweet potato fries for a while now. Somehow they always end up burned or not quite cooked enough for my tasting so when I read about pre-boiling hash browns in a recent issue of Cooks Illustrated I decided that I should give the technique a try for my fries. The result was a super soft interior and a perfectly crispy exterior which my husband raved about. I will say the process is a bit more daunting but the taste certainly is super delicious. Since I like my sweet potato fries with a kick I mixed up an extra special “marinade” to cook them off in.
Boil and Broil Sweet Potato Fries

3 sweet potatoes, skinned and cut into fry sized pieces
¼ C EVOO
4 tbs brown sugar
Pinch of cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt


Boil the cut potatoes for 5-10 minutes or until you are able to easily poke through them with a fork (cooking time may vary based on the thickness of your fries.) Strain and place in a ziplock bag with the marinade mixture. Evenly coat the potatoes and the place on a baking sheet to broil. Broil for about 5 minutes, checking to make sure the potatoes are not burning. The outsides should end up perfectly crispy with only a slight bit of char on them. Perfectly delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment