Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Turkey Meatloaf


Let me just start off by saying prior to this posting I despised ground turkey. The only time I would ever eat it was if someone else prepared it and I would be nice, suck it up and eat it. My husband, however, would like for me to cook more often with it. So begrudgingly I purchased some at the grocery store. I found this recipe online from Epicurious and gave it a go. It was so EASY to make and my husband texted me four times to tell me how much he loved it (I threw it in the oven and ran out to an appointment). So let me officially announce I am a believer! And with fresh herbs starting to grow in the garden, this meal becomes a winner. The only adjustment that I made to the recipe was to use Panko bread crumbs in place of the crustless day-old pain rustique that the recipe called for. In general, whenever a recipe calls for some type of bread crumb I always substitute using Panko since it is usually diary free.
2 tbs olive oil
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
1 cup of low-sodium chicken broth
8 oz of slice button mushrooms
2 large eggs
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 lb ground turkey (15% fat)
1 lb ground turkey breast
Heat oven to 350. Brush loaf pan with olive oil. Toss bread and broth in large bowl, combining until absorbed. Mix in mushrooms, eggs, shallots, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add turkey and mix until blended. Transfer to pan. Bake in center of oven (I put down foil underneath the pan to catch drippings). Bake for approx 1 hour and 25 minutes, until thermometer registers 170.

No comments:

Post a Comment