Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Memorial Day Salad


Summer is almost here and I for one am super excited. I can’t wait to hit the beach for the first time this summer with little B. So much has changed since our final trip last fall… he is not just walking, he’s running full speed ahead so I am anxiously awaiting all the fun (and danger) we have in store.

I stole this recipe from my dear friend Carrie who I have mentioned before of the blog (because she is a fabulous cook) she probably calls it the Memorial Day salad because it is the perfect summer salad but lets face it, Memorial day is the official kick off to summer fun and this salad perfectly accentuates one of my summer favorites… fresh strawberries! Strawberries around here are finally in season and I had big plans to do some strawberry picking yesterday but unfortunately the remnants of that crazy stomach bug I had last week still had me stuck around the house. No worries though, the farmers market had plenty of fresh berries to choose from!  So behold… Carrie’s Memorial Day Salad

Dressing:
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Salad:
1 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bit sized pieces
2 cups (8 oz) grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup cubed or shredded, cooked chicken breast (optional)
1/2 cup crumbled, cooked bacon (optional)
1-2 cups croutons (optional)

In a blender combine dressing ingredients. Process at medium speed until thickened.  In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients.  Stir dressing and pour desired amount over salad mixture, tossing to coat evenly.  Top with croutons and serve immediately.  8-10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment