Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chicken, Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder

Winter puts me in a soup mood. Having just made that awesome sweet potato minestrone, I happened to have a couple extra sweet potatoes laying around and since I am trying to empty the fridge I thought I would see what else I could whip up. I traditionally make a super yummy chicken corn chowder that is laced with bell peppers and I figured since I had the sweet potatoes I would sub them for the yukon gold ones I traditionally use. The result was a sweeter version of my traditional treat that I will definitely be making again.



To be fair, this is not a great picture. I actually had to take it of the reheated soup since I got that nasty 24 hour stomach bug going around the day I made it. It did however taste great reheated.



1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 c chopped tomato (I used our grape tomatoes)
1 c chopped bell pepper
1 stalk celery chopped
½ small onion, chopped
1 c corn (in the summer I use fresh corn, the rest of the year I use frozen)
3 c chicken stock
1 c whole milk ( or an additional cup of stock if you are dairy free- I did this when I was dairy free)
2 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
⅛ tsp hot sauce

Chop all the vegetables and chicken and place all ingredients (except milk) in the crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add the milk before you serve to make the soup creamier.

No comments:

Post a Comment