Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thai Curry Basil Beef

During the last trimester of my pregnancy I was a Thai eating machine. I probably ate Thai at least twice a week and a majority of it was curry. I ate red, yellow, green and panang. I ate it with chicken, beef, pork and veggies. The hubs actually got so tired of our usual place that we branched out and began to make our way through all the Thai restaurants on the Washingtonian best bites and cheap eats lists.


Since my love affair with curry has continued post pregnancy it only makes sense that I have learned a couple of good recipes for it. This basic beef recipe is one of my favorites since I tend to go for rice when I have a choice I was surprised to find out how much I really enjoyed the noodle version as well.



Curried Beef Noodles
1 lb boneless sirloin steak, cut into 1/2 in thick strips
2 T canola or veg oil
2 t red curry paste (I use the Thai Kitchen brand)
3/4 t kosher salt
1/4 t ground pepper
1 pkg of linguine (I usually use whole wheat)
1 can coconut milk (I use the light)
1/2 t sugar
1 c loosely packed basil leaves (or more if you have it)
lime wedges
2 T soy sauce
1/2 onion thinly sliced
add any other veggies you like (I usually add peppers, spinach, eggplant something like that)

Place steak in 1 T of oil, curry paste, salt and pepper in bowl and marinate in fridge for at least 20 min up to overnight.
cook noodles in boiling salted water until al dente, drain and set aside
Heat 1 T oil in wok or skillet over medium high. Add onion  and stir fry 3-4 min. Add steak and stir fry until browned all over 2-3 min.
Reduce heat to medium, stir in coconut milk, soy sauce and sugar; bring to a simmer. Add other veggies and cook until sauce thickens (2 min give or take). Stir in noodles, basil and Spinach (if you are using). Simmer for 30 sec and serve with lime wedges and sriracha.

No comments:

Post a Comment