Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Slouvaki Chicken Salad Pitas

Right after I gave birth to our darling baby boy, my good friend Amber set up a meal delivery schedule for us through takethemameal.com. I know I have posted about how wonderful it was to not have to worry about our meals during those first few weeks but what I have not posted about is how great it was to also get so many new meal ideas from my friends and family.

This recipe is a version of the super yummy chicken salad that my sister-in-law Jess brought us. I have made her version (which I will post below) several times but since I am still on mission clean fridge I made several deviations this time.




1 cooked chicken breast (I used one breast from a whole bird I roasted today)
½ c Dill dip (recipe to follow)
½ lemon (juice only)
Small handful of dill, basil, chives (chopped)
1 shallot finely chopped
1 c bell peppers chopped
1 c grape tomatoes chopped
1 c cucumber chopped
Fresh ground pepper
Flat breads

Place chopped chicken, veggies and herbs in a mixing bowl. Mix in dip, lemon juice and pepper until it is completely incorporated. Serve or refrigerate.

Tonight I served the chicken salad on warm garlic nan bread with melted dill Havarti, lettuce and globs of hummus. As a side I roasted cauliflower from the veggie tray sprinkled with paprika, curry powder and a little bit of EVOO. B ate globs of chicken salad, and dipped chunks of cheese and cauliflower in hummus.


Jess’ Original Version
~1/4 cup EVOO
1 clove garlic grated
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
S&P
1 cup reduced fat or fat free Greek yogurt
A small handful each of finely chopped dill, parsley and chives
A few dashes hot sauce
1 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded or 1 lb. cold cooked shredded chicken
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1/3 cucumber, chopped
2 ribs celery from the heart, thinly sliced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
flatbread

In a large bowl, combine EVOO, garlic, lemon, vinegar; season with S&P. Stir in the yogurt, herbs, and hot sauce. Add the chicken, bell pepper, onion, cucumber, and celery; season with S&P. Top the salad with tomatoes and serve with flatbread.

** I actually made a dairy free version of this recipe while I was a dairy-free nursing mom. To do this replace the Greek yogurt with So Delicious Plain Coconut Yogurt. The result is a slightly sweeter and lighter version of the original but delicious all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment