Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chicken and Sweet Potato Thai-Style Green Curry

Chicken and Sweet Potato Thai-Style Green Curry
As I have said before, I love Thai and would probably eat it once a week if I could get the hubs to agree to it. Thai curry was my go to meal throughout the third trimester my pregnancy and we continued to order it on a regular basis after lil B was born since I spent most of his first nine months on a dairy free diet and lets face it, a lot of eating out makes a dairy free diet hard.

This particular recipe is another one from my friend Susan who really is a phenomenal cook, mother and homemaker. I love both the bold flavors and beautiful colors of  this dish. The recipe below is a bit tame for my taste so I usually dress my serving up with some sriracha for a bit of added heat.

2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger minced
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, white part, minced or 1 tsp dried lemongrass powder
2 tbs Thai green curry paste
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb) cut into 2 inch pieces
⅛ c light oil (canola, coconut, safeflower)
1 can coconut milk
⅛ c lime juice
2 tbs soy sauce
1.5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 c tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes cut in half)
½ c thinly sliced red onion
¾ c chopped cilantro
¾ c chopped mint
¾ c chopped basil (preferably thai basil)


Mix garlic, ginger, lemongrass and curry paste in a large bowl. Add chicken and mix well to evenly coat the chicken with the spices. Allow chicken to marinate for at least 10 min in the refrigerator. (I have marinated up to 24 hours when I prepped dinner the night before)

Heat oil in a wok or saute pan over medium/high heat. Saute the chicken for five minutes, add coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25-30 min until the chicken is cooked through and the the sweet potatoes are tender. During the last five min of cooking, add tomatoes, onion and fresh herbs.

I usually add extra veggies to this recipe to make it closer to a stir fry and serve it over a heap of hearty brown rice. Some of my favorite additions include: bell peppers, summer squash, broccoli, sugar snap peas, spinach and edamame. I have also done a veggie only version of this dish for my father that went over great!

No comments:

Post a Comment