Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chickpea Salad Roll


We have about two dozen hot dog rolls left from our 4th of July party so I am working on figuring out ways to use them up. My first inclination was lobster rolls! I mean who doesn’t want a delicious treat like that. Unfortunately, lobster is a bit pricy for this family so I started looking for other more cost effective options. I came across a Vegan “Lobster” Roll recipe on the the runningwithtongs blog and thought … she might be on to something here. Obviously they would be nothing like the original but the recipe was really intriguing as an alternative to  mayo based seafood and meat salads which the Mr. hates. I made a couple adaptations to her original recipe including adding old bay seasoning for flavor, and using a mixture of mayo and Greek yogurt as a creamy base. I must admit that the result was quite tasty. While I would never claim it was anywhere near as tasty as a lobster roll I will say that it is a great budget friendly, healthy and vegetarian option that totally made my whole family smile.


1 can of chick peas
¼ C corn
1 stalk of celery, minced
½ a small zucchini, minced
1 green onion, minced
5 sun dried tomatoes in EVOO, minced
3 tbs Greek Yogurt
3 tbs Mayo (the original recipe called for ¼ C vegan mayo but I subbed for mayo and Greek yogurt)
½ lemon juiced
½ tsp old bay seasoning (for a bit of sea flavor)
1 tbs fresh parsley, minced
Pepper to taste

Rinse the chickpeas and smash them with a fork in a large bowl until most of them are broken into pieces. Mix all other ingredients with the chickpeas and taste. Season more if needed and then refrigerate until you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment