Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer Spaghetti with Scape Pesto

Fruits, veggies and herbs are all plentiful this time of year and I always try to take advantage by making as many fresh meals as possible. This also marks the time of year when I begin to make sauces to store for the winter months when fresh food gets a bit pricier and further from our reach. This summer spaghetti recipe is light and refreshing and the scape pesto is the perfect no fuss, big batch sauce that defrosts well even months later. I like to freeze mine in ice cube trays so that I can pop out perfectly portioned cubes when I am ready to defrost.


Since I received some delicious garlic scapes in my CSA box last week and we were leaving town for a few days I thought I would use them up with some herbs from my garden to make a delicious fresh pesto.

½ box of thin whole wheat spaghetti noodles
1 Cup scape pesto
1 Quart grape tomatoes, quartered
1 thinly sliced zucchini

Scape Pesto
1 bunch of garlic scapes
1 clove of garlic
1 C assorted green herbs of choice (I used some basil, parsley and chives I had in the garden)
1/2 C Parmesan cheese 
1/2 C shelled walnuts
1/2 C EVOO
1 lemon, juiced and zested

* While the pasta was delicious I am super bummed to announce that the pesto did not survive our 4 day power outage. I am going to have to scavenge some more scapes before the season is over

No comments:

Post a Comment