Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Greek Chicken Meatballs


This recipe is another adaptation of a Giada recipe. Her Sweet and Spicy Greek Meatballs are super delish but since lamb is pricy and chicken is way healthier I have become a convert to the chicken meatball. Her original recipe also calls for a cup of cooked cous cous but I have made the switch to using quinoa because it is such a healthy, nutrient rich grain. My final recipe adjustment is that I add veggies to my balls. I find that it is an easy way to bump up my family’s vegetable intake without making them feel like I am force feeding piles of rabbit food.

I really enjoy the sweetness of the cinnamon in the tomato sauce which is totally unexpected and brilliant. We eat these as a stand-alone main, over pasta or rice, or even as a meatball sandwich!

1 lb ground chicken (or meat of choice)
1 C cooked quinoa
½ red onion
2 Cloves of garlic
1 C chopped leafy green (I used collards but chard or spinach would do well too)
1 C shredded squash or zucchini
1 egg
¼ C Italian parsley, chopped
2 tbs EVOO
3 tbs dried mint
1 ½ tbs dried oregano
2 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne pepper

Sauce:
3 tbs EVOO
1 jar of marinara sauce
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 tbs ground cinnamon

Cook quinoa. I do this in a rice maker using 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water. It cooks perfectly every time and I don’t have to worry about burning anything.
In a skillet, add EVOO, garlic, onion, greens, squash and spices. Stir until vegetables are completely cooked through. Dump ingredients into a large mixing bowl and set pan aside. Add chicken, quinoa and egg to the vegetables and mix until incorporated. Form the mixture into small palm sized balls about 2 inch diameter. Once the balls are formed, coat the pan with EVOO and bring to a high heat. Place balls on the pan and allow to cook on each side for about 4 minutes. Add the jar of sauce, cinnamon and sticks. Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment