Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

DIY Pottery Barn Easter Basket



inside of basket


under side of liner showing stitching
I covet the Pottery Barn Kids catalogue. I love the fun twist to the classic casual lifestyle. Since most of the time I can’t seem to stomach the prices, especially for holiday items that come and go so quickly, I decided I would give the old DIY thing a try. The whole process took less than an hour, under $10 and the result was this super cute, one of a kind basket for my little bunny boy.

Volia! My Pottery Barn knock off Easter Basket

I purchased an $10.99 white wicker basket for 40% off at Michaels, a yard of turquoise, green and  yellow searsucker fabric from JoAnne Fabric and then used some leftover turquoise satin ribbon from a Buy, Buy, Baby gift box and some white thread.

I drew an outline of the basket on the back side of the fabric with an ink pen and then cut the circle out for the bottom of the basket. Then I measured the depth of the basket with a ruler (It is 4 inches deep) I doubled the number and cut an 8 inch strip of the fabric where the lines were vertical for the fold over portion of the basket liner. I then faced the print side of the fabric strips (the side I wanted to show on the basket) to the print side of the fabric circle and pined the fabric strip with little folds along the circle to add some extra fullness to the liner. I used my sewing machine to sew the two pieces of fabric together making sure I was sewing the hem side on the side of the fabric that was not going to show on the inside of the basket. When I got all the way around the basket I sewed a 4 inch seam up the strip leaving the rest of the fabric open. I then took that open end of the fabric strip and folded it in half so that I could create a flap that folded over the edge of the basket. I pinned the fabric where the edge came up to the fold and sewed the two pieces together to create a tube to run the ribbon through. I found the halfway point point on the other side of the basket and made a cut in the tube on that side so that the liner could slide easily over the basket handle. I sewed up the edges so that the material would not frey and then ran a ribbon through the tubes making big bows on each side. While the instructions sound crazy hard it really was quite easy. I probably should have made a pattern for you but hopefully this is a good enough tutorial for a few of you to give it a try.

Enjoy and Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment