Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sausage and White Bean Casserole

Being a Dairy Free Diva I'm always jealous when I see a beautiful picture of a fresh out of the oven casserole. Quickly I skim the ingredients and cringe when I see the words "cream of....". Always a huge fan of most Real Simple magazine recipes, I was intrigued when I saw a whole magazine dedicated to easy meals. Much to my delight I stumbled on this dairy free recipe. It is easy and I love the fact that there are greens included. The whole family devoured casserole.
1 tbs + 1 tsp of olive oil
1 lb Italian sausage (I used sweet vs spicy)
2 carrots roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 bunches of Swiss chard, thick stems removed and cut into 2 inch strips
2 15.5oz cans of cannellini beans, rinsed
salt and pepper
2 tbs of bread crumbs (I used panko to keep it dairy free - always double check your ingredients on the box)
Heat oven to 400. Heat 1 tbs of oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Remove to a plate. Add carrots and garlic to skillet and cook. Stir frequently for approx 1 minute. Add the chard and cook until wilted. Add the beans, 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper, respectively, to the skillet. Place sausage on top. Bring to a boil.
In a small bowl combine the remaining oil and bread crumbs. Sprinkle over sausage. Place skillet in oven and cook 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment