Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Leftover Liquidation: Roast Chicken Mu Shu and Peanut Butter Noodles


Last week I was struggling to finish up the leftovers we brought home from our Passover and Easter dinners. When I re-purpose a protein I want to trick myself into believing that it is a totally new item so when I am using roast chicken I usually go for a dish inspired from another part of the world. This Roast Chicken Mu Shu was delicious, all three of us ate it for dinner and then had the leftovers for dinner the next day. The hubs even made a comment that the dish got better the next day which I think is hard to say. The Mu Shu portion of this dish is an adaptation from one I found in a huffington post article. While the original recipe called for tortillas I didn't have any on hand so I opted for one of B’s favorites, thai peanut noodles (or peanut butter noodles) which are so simple to make. I have actually made extra sauce and refrigerate it for later use as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders or a quick stir fry sauce.

Mu Shu
3 tbs vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbs fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 bag of coleslaw mix, (I actually used ½ a bag and saved the rest for coleslaw for the next night)
½ red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 tbs water
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
3 tbs hoisin sauce (I dont have this so I made my own (recipe below)
1 bunch scallions, chopped
2-3 C chopped or pulled chicken

Heat 1 tbs of vegetable oil in a pan and scramble the egg in it. Transfer the egg to a bowl and set aside. Add remaining oil to to the pan and add ginger and garlic letting it cook for about a minute. Add veggies and 2 tbs of water, cover and allow to cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
Stir together remaining water, soy sauce, sesame oil and hoisin sauce in a bowl. Add it to the coleslaw mixture also adding chicken and eggs. Stir to incorporate the sauce while continuing the cooking process for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat, sprinkle with scallions and serve.

Peanut Butter Noodles
½ lb linguini noodles, I use whole wheat
1 c peanut butter
1 tbs water
1 lime, juiced
2 tbs soy sauce
½ tsp fish or oyster sauce (If you have it)
1 tsp sriracha
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp garlic powder

Blend the sauce together and mix as much or as little as you want into the noodles.

Quick Hoisin Sauce
Since I was already making the peanut sauce for my noodles I made my “hoisin” sauce out of the same mix. I used a couple of 4 tbs of the peanut butter sauce and added an additional 1 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs sesame oil and 2 tbs of white vinegar and 1 tbs of honey to it to loosen it. This is not an exact science but it gets you close enough to the flavor you want to make it work. Buying store bought sauce is a great option... Im just trying to limit my new condiments right now before our big move!

No comments:

Post a Comment