Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Coconut Curry Chicken Fingers



When I hear chicken fingers I think super fried, fast food that is a kids dream (or at least my kid), so I get really excited at the chance to class them up a bit. These coconut curry chicken fingers are the perfect way to achieve a delicious adult flavor profile while still keeping your kids happy at mealtime. Since I once read (don’t you hate how reading things makes you think they are facts) that kids who eat curry and other strong flavors at a young age are more likely to have a better palet as an adult I now feel the need to feed my child curry on a semi-regular basis hoping that he will continue his mamas passion for food.

As I said earlier this week, the sweet smell of the coconut and the spiciness of the curry totally filled my house with the most delicious smell (at least until I burned the second batch) so I couldn’t wait to taste them at dinner. The result was a delicious juicy tender with a crispy crunchy breading full of flavor. So for all of you out there who have been anxiously waiting, I give you the 703 Mommy & Me Coconut Curry Chicken Fingers!

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken tenders
2-3 c buttermilk
1 c unsweetened shaved coconut (I get this at Whole Foods since most other places only offer sugar covered coconut)
1 c panko bread crumbs
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp garlic powder
S&P
Coconut oil (or oil of choice)

Soak chicken tenders in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes (up to 24 hours) and then season with salt and pepper. Mix together the coconut, panko, curry, garlic powder and more S&P in a bowl and begin to coat each tender individually. Be sure to thickly coat each tender by smashing as much of the breading onto it as possible. Once breaded, set each tender on a baking sheet. Spray or drizzle oil over each tender and then bake at 500 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Little B ate his with ketchup but I prefer mine with some Ken's Sweet Onion dressing. DELISH! 

No comments:

Post a Comment