Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Coq Au Vin - Lemon and Capers Chicken

Katie here!  I was pretty intrigued when I first saw this recipe combo in Food & Wine Magazine a few years back.  The first time I had Coq Au Vin was at my sister's house and I was instantly in love.  Years later I was pretty pumped to find this modern take on the recipe.  And if you enjoy this version, click on the Food & Wine link above and they have three other versions that work off this base recipe.  I substituted out the butter with Earth Balance and served it over long grain rice with a side salad.  My husband asked me after the first bite how many servings he was allowed to go back for, so I guess I would say it was a hit!

8 bone in chicken thighs with skin
Salt and pepper
Flour
2 tbsp butter (I used Earth Balance as a non-dairy sub)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 large garlic cloves peeled
1 1/2 cup Sauvignon Blanc
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
4 1-inch long strips of lemon zest
4 thyme sprigs
1 tbsp capers drained
1 bay leaf

Heat oven to 350.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and lightly coat with flour.  In a large ovenproof skillet melt the butter and olive oil over high heat.  Add the chicken, skin side down.  Brown on both sides, total cooking time 12-14 minutes.  Transfer chicken to plate and drain off all but 1 tbsp of fat from pot.  Add garlic and cook on low heat until soft, approx 5 minutes.  Add wine and boil until reduced by half, approx 5 minutes.  Add stock, lemon zest, thyme, capers, and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil.  Return chicken to the pot, skin side up.  Transfer pot to oven and cook for 45 minutes.  Return pot to stove top and boil until the sauce is slightly reduced, approx 5 minutes.  Discard thyme, bay leaf and lemon zest.





No comments:

Post a Comment