Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

So we went apple picking… I have a bushel of apples in my house and I need to start using them pronto. Lucky for me my good friend Nicole sent me this apple pie recommendation last week which got me thinking. Never being able to leave good enough alone I decided to take the bourbon pie a step further turning the sauce into a salted caramel deliciousness that blew my mind. For those of you who are in that salted caramel love affair right now you MUST try this pie. I seriously cannot even explain how good it is.


Spiced bourbon to salted caramel comes easy here. Remove the cinnamon, add some salt and allow the sauce to caramelize around the edges of the new crispy crumble pie topping. The milk and corn starch really are the key ingredients to the filling, ensuring the pie has a thick and almost creamy texture that is to die for.


This recipe is an alteration from the original found on A Beautiful Mess
1 pie crust (I used premade but feel free to MYO if you have the time)
Filling:
4-5 tart apples (PINK LADY!!)
½ C milk
1 tbs corn starch
2 tbs bourbon
2/3 C dark brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
Zest from one lemon
1 tsp salt
Topping:
¼ C cold butter
½ C sugar
½ C flour

Thinly slice the apples and set aside. In a small bowl, mix all the other filling ingredients together and then pour over the apples tossing them until they are evenly coated. Pour mixture into the pie crust and then mix the topping together. To do this you combine the ingredients in a bowl and mush them together with your hands until it resembles clumpy dirt. Sprinkle over the apples trying to evenly cover them and then bake the pie at 350 for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment