Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Delicious Pot Roast Dinner

Katie here!  I just recently moved and for the last few months our meals have been take out or any sort of concoction I could throw together at the last minute.  I was so happy and relieved to reclaim my kitchen and start making delicious healthy family meals again.  This meal has been a staple in my family for well over 40 years.  My Dad claims it was the dish that made him want to marry my Mom.  My Parents have for many decades cooked recipes from the McCormick/Schilling's Spice Cookbook and the tradition has been passed down to their children.  This meal is really so easy and great for either a Sunday dinner or if you are home during the week, the type of meal you throw together during nap time and drool over until it is done.  Great for leftovers and sandwiches.  I increased the veggie portions from what the recipe originally called for.  And I also made the gravy, which is completely optional, as the roast can easily stand on its' own.

3lb boneless beef chuck roast
2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 cup beef broth
1/2 tsp basil leaves
1/4 tsp oregano leaves
1/4 tsp thyme leaves
6 small potatoes, peeled and halved
6 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
All-purpose flour for thickening (optional) 2 tsp

Preheat oven to 350.  Place meat in a baking pan large enough to fit meat and veggies.  Sprinkle meat with steak seasoning.  Combine beef broth with basil, oregano, and thyme and add to pan.  Cover (I used aluminium foil) and bake for 1 1/2 hours.  Uncover meat and add veggies to pan.  Cover and bake another 1 1/2 hours.  If you want to make the gravy, remove the veggies and beef from pan.  I poured the pan juices into a sauce pan, added flour and whisked over low heat for a minute or two until I got to the desired thickness for the gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment