Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Milk Maker Cookies


It seems like all my friends are having babies right now. With three down, another one due next week and then two more before Christmas I am totally living vicariously through all the tiny toes and little bows (the first two have been girls). I was super excited to go visit my friend Deniz last night and finally get the chance to meet her delicious baby Alex for the first time.


My usual MO is to bring dinner for the family, but since Alex’s grandma is in the country for a month to help with his care, they already have dinner taken care of. Not being one to come empty handed, I knew I had to make some sort of tasty treat and since Deniz is breastfeeding, I figured I would try making mothers milk cookies for the first time. For those of you who don’t know about these cookies, they are basically a healthy cookie, full of all sorts of nutrient rich nuts and grains that help to increase milk supply. Don’t worry, they wont actually make you lactate on their own but many of the ingredients are items that are said to increase breast milk supply.The best part is that they really are delicious so daddy can also enjoy these special treats.

I was really excited at how mine turned out, just the slightest bit healthy tasting yet still super delicious so I couldn’t wait to deliver them. Well of course fate was not in my corner because I ended up not only forgetting the cookies but also my CAMERA!!! What kind of blogger am I?  Anyway, I have had several people test these out and they have all said they are delicious  so Deniz, I promise to make you more soon enough. For now, the cookies that are left will have to be eaten by all my playgroup mommies who are coming over for a play date tomorrow. 

This recipe was an adaptation from  Peaceful Parenting

1 C all purpose flour
½ C almond flour
1 tbs brewers yeast (I couldn't bring myself to use more)
½ C butter
2 eggs
¾ C PB
1/2 C oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 C flax meal
1/3 C water
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 C chocolate chips
1 C chopped nuts of choice

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine flours, oatmeal, yeast and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl combine softened butter, peanut butter, eggs, salt, flax meal and cinnamon and mix until completely blended. Slowly add dry ingredients to the mixture until they are incorporated. Add water and vanilla extract and then fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Bake for 12-15 min

No comments:

Post a Comment