Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Potato Topped Chicken Pot Pie


I have a plethora of potatoes in my house right now. The last few weeks our CSA has sent a bag full and I guess I have been slacking on coming up with new ways to use them. Since I am big into the comfort food season right now I thought I would try a fun potatoey spin on my traditional chicken pot pie recipe.


I do love the original so I am not quite sure I could replace it with this one but I will say this one gets an A+ for presentation and taste. The most important thing is slicing the potatoes super thin so they fully cook. The best way to achieve this is to slice them on a mandolin but if you don’t have one, slice carefully with your knife. So I guess the moral of this story is, if you are looking for a classic comfort food that will WOW even the most particular of guests, give this one a try.

1 whole chicken breast (2 split) bone in, skin on
EVOO
Herbs de Provence
4 C chicken stock, (I used my MYO Crock Pot Stock that had been frozen)
1 chicken bouillon cube
½ C butter
1 Onion, chopped
½ C flour
¼ C milk
2 whole carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 C frozen peas
½ C parsley, chopped
Frozen pie crust (one)
 3-5 medium potatoes, thinly sliced

Rub chicken breasts with EVOO and sprinkle with Herbs de Provence. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove bones and skin and chop into cubes and set aside. To create the sauce mix chicken stock, bouillon together and set aside. Sautee onions in butter until they are translucent and add flour and continue to stir until the rue has thickened. Add stock mixture, salt, pepper and milk and continue to mix until everything is incorporated. Add the chicken, veggies and parsley and mix well.
Pour the entire mixture into the pie crust and then top with thinly sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt over the potatoes and then either spritz or brush with EVOO. Bake at 375 for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment