Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Weekend Recap


We had the absolute best weekend full of all sorts of fun events. Saturday morning we checked out the Fire Prevention Week activities at the Falls Church Fire House in the morning and then headed up to Homestead Farm in the afternoon for some apple and pumpkin picking. The perfect weather continued on Sunday so we decided to play tourist in our town and hit up the national mall. B had an awesome time trolling the memorials and posing for the countless photo ops. While I never got around to that pesky “to do” list I can’t complain because we really did have the best time.



One of my favorite weekend activities was the time we spent at Homestead Farm in Poolsville MD for the afternoon with all of B’s cousins. This was the third year we headed out there and probably my favorite yet. It was so fun to do everything with our gaggle of geese and it made me so excited for the years of fun to come. We started out the afternoon with some apple picking, did a little animal feeding and then rounded out the day with a hay ride to the pumpkin patch. We found the perfect 22 lb pumpkin that both B and I were in love with and then tragedy struck. We woke up this morning and someone had STOLEN our pumpkin off our front steps. I was devastated… B got over it as soon as we took him to the pumpkin “patch” in the CVS parking lot next to our house and picked him out a new tiny pumpkin of his own.
B's perfect pumpkin
Sorry for the side bar… back to the farm coverage. Homestead is awesome. If you decide to head out there you should know that they have tons of options for PYO produce throughout the growing season but the only apple variety in season right now is Pink Lady. This works well for me because they are one of my favorite varieties. I love their super tart flavor and crispy, crunchy texture and they are perfect for all the baking and cooking projects that I have planned. If you have never been out to Homested before I would definitely recommend checking them out for a little extra fall fun. The farm is located about a 45 minute drive from Arlington and has enough activities that you could easily pack a picnic and spend a full day checking it out.

cute little pumpkins
We ended up with a whole bushel of apples so of course you should be expecting many apple recipes in your near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment