Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Dairy Free Oatmeal


Katie here!  I'm really excited to share this recipe with you.  I've been tweaking it over the last year.  It is a weekend staple for our family and my son can't shovel it in his mouth quick enough.  The secret ingredient was taken from my Father, apple spice seasoning.  It gives the oatmeal a flavor blast and makes it taste like a delicious cobbler.  The other benefit to this recipe is that it is so versatile.  During the winter I use whatever frozen fruit is in my freezer and during the summer whatever fresh fruit is currently in season.  Mix it up with you have available.  If you are using frozen fruit, make sure to allow the fruit a few minutes to heat up in the oatmeal prior to serving.  Also in the below recipe I use brown sugar and almond milk.  You can easily swap these ingredients out with other types of sweeteners, like agave nectar, or use soy or regular milk.  I use steel cut oats for this recipe, which tend to take longer to cook but are very heart healthy for you.  You can also use quick cooking oats, just adjust the cooking time based upon the carton's instructions.  I usually refrigerate the left overs and serve them to my son through out the week.  The below recipe is using frozen blueberries and peaches.  I often switch out the peaches for a banana.  If you use a banana I recommend mashing it prior to putting it into the oatmeal.

4 cups of water
1 cup of oats
1/4 cup of lite brown sugar
A few heavy dashes of apple pie seasoning
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1 cup of frozen peaches
Almond milk

Bring the water to a boil.  Slowly stir in oats.  When oatmeal begins to thicken (approx 5 minutes) reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add brown sugar and apple pie seasoning.  Season to taste.  Gently fold in fruit.  Add a few tablespoons of Almond Milk.  Gently stir to combine.  Heat at low heat for approx 5 minutes, until fruit is warm all the way through.



No comments:

Post a Comment