Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fresh Summer Squash Salad


This summer squash salad is now one of my go to favorites for my extra garden haul. It has come in handy a bit early this year with all the yummy squash we have been getting from our Great Country Farms CSA. The squash is fresh and delicious and this is the perfect way to highlight every bite.  A bonus is that little B LOVES his "chini" so he can really power through this super delicious and nutritious


The recipe is super simple and easy with only five ingredients. The salad is much flashier if you thinly slice the squash on a mandoline but since I don’t own one L I have to settle for thinly shaving it in small quarter moon sections using the food processor. Since you really want the squash super thin my advice is to not press too hard when sending the squash through the food processor or I guess just to use a mandoline if you have one. You could also do it by hand but I really don’t have the cutting skill for that.

2 Summer Squash, I usually use two different varieties such as zucchini and yellow crooked neck.
½ C pine nuts or sliced almonds
EVOO
1 lemon, zested and juiced
S&P
Thinly slice the squash, toast the nuts on a cookie sheet or in a toaster oven for just a few minutes so they have not browned but their oils are beginning to open up. Toss the squash and nuts in the oil, lemon and S&P.

No comments:

Post a Comment