Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Not So Homemade Cherry Berry Cobbler


We got a couple of boxes of sour cherries in our CSA Box last week and while I love a tart and tangy treat I didn’t think I would be able to make it through these bad boys without some extra sugar involved. I had my heart set on making some sort of baked good so I went trolling on pinterest again to see what goodies I could find and ended up going for the recipe that looked like it required the least amount of work… after all, pitting cherries is a lot of work. 

The recipe I found was for a three step berry cobbler made with a box of yellow cake mix, a can of sprite and a bag of frozen mixed berries. Since I had all the ingredients in the house I decided to give it a try substituting half a bag of frozen berries for my fresh tart cherries. The pinner said to bake at 350 for 30 minutes but I actually had to bake mine at 350 for closer to 45 since the center was still super loose. I remained a skeptic through the first bite but I will say it presents well, is quite tasty and is so easy that I might even let little B help next time I make it. 

 My only caveat is that the cake mix and Sprite are super sweet so it might have been too sweet for me if I had not added the tart cherries. I definitely liked how easy the recipe was so I am going to have to think about ways to recreate this, maybe using pancake or cornbread mix to cut down on the sugar. Stay tuned for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment