Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Food Play: Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting


I have been giving my muffin tins a work out lately with all my biscuit creations so I figured why not continue on my trend but switch things up a bit with a mini version of another one of my favorite comfort foods. Since B has been attending his fair share of birthday parties lately he has become completely obsessed with cupcakes. Since I am starting to think he may eat anything in a cupcake shape I figured I would put this theory to a test with a little play on meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I used my standard meatloaf recipe and made roasted garlic mashed potatoes to go with it.


Mommy’s Meatloaf
1-1.5 lbs of meat of choice (I used ground beef)
½ onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted but I also like rotel)
1 egg
1 C quick oats (binding agent instead of bread crumbs)
4 garlic cloves (diced
1 C chopped cooked greens (I used a whole bunch of swiss chard)
¼ C ketchup (plus more for topping)
¼ C BBQ sauce (plus more for topping)
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
 S&P
1 bag of shredded cheese
EVOO

Sauté greens, onion and garlic in EVOO, seasoning with salt and pepper. Combine all ingredients (besides the cheese) in a bowl and mix until completely incorporated. Fill each muffin cup half way, squirt a small amount of ketchup and BBQ sauce over the meat, cover with cheese and then top with additional meat until the mound looks like a puffed up cupcake. Assemble the rest of the cupcakes and bake at 450 for 20 minutes. While you are cooking the meat loaf wrap garlic for the mashed potatoes in foil and add to the oven to roast it.

Roasted Garlic Mashers
½ a head of garlic (roasted)
4-5 medium potatoes
3 tbs butter
¼ C Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
While the meatloaf is cooking, boil potatoes until soft. Drain and then smash with a fork or a potato masher. Unwrap the garlic and pop each clove into the potato mixture being sure to remove the skins. Add the dairy and mix until creamy. If you want them to take on a creamier texture add a bit of milk or chicken stock which will help them stay moist.

I love the way they turned out…. But you can judge for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment