Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Spinach Cornbread & BBQ Chili



I had this amazing spinach cornbread casserole thing at my friend Brooke’s baby shower the other weekend. It was simply delicious and totally reminded me of corn casserole but “healthier” because it was chock full of spinach! Of course I now need to know how it is made so I started digging up some recipes on line. The one I ended up making was nothing like the original, more like a cornbread with spinach, instead of spinach with cornbread topping. However, it was quite tasty, so I decided to share it anyway. I ended up pairing it with my quick BBQ chili because really, what goes better together than cornbread and chili??



This recipe is an adaptation of one from Taste of Home and is part of a series that started with this post.

1 package of jiffy cornbread mix
½ C grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 eggs
½ C Greek yogurt
¼ C butter, melted
1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
½ C shredded cheddar (plus more for topping)
½ C onion, diced

Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs and stir in yogurt and butter. Stir in dry ingredients and then fold spinach, cheddar and onion.  Grease pan of choice (I used a pie pan and cut triangle slices) pour mixture into the pan and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Pull from the oven and top with additional cheddar and bake for 3-5 more minutes or until the cheese begins to crisp up.


No comments:

Post a Comment