Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Preschool Play Dough


I know I can make a mean meal but cooking up play dough scares me. I just have visions of the whole thing turning into a rock and the kids just shaking their heads at me. Since I am scheduled to bring the play dough for the 2s class soon I figured I would give it a try today to make sure little B would approve my skills. Lucky for me I passed with flying colors and B had a great time rolling, smashing and cutting his dough to pieces.


This recipe took about 10 minutes from start to finish (including cleaning the pot) so it is definitely a super easy rainy day (or sick day) activity that will entertain way past the length of time it takes to set up. We pulled out a bunch of B’s kitchen items including childrens cookie cutters, shapes, spatulas etc. and really let him get creative. By the end of the afternoon he was making his own “pizzas” and “cookies.”

1 C flour
1 C water
1/2 C salt
1 Tbs oil
2 tsp cream of tarter
food coloring (I used 13  drops but keep adding until you get the right color)

Mix all the ingredients together over medium heat, constantly stirring until it forms a loose ball. Allow to cool and store in a zip lock bag for up to 2 weeks. 1 batch should make enough for 6-8 small "play dough" containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment