Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Grilled Steak and Tomato Salad with Herb Mashers


Here I am, lusting after fall yet still in complete denial that summer is over. I love all the fun things fall brings with it, apple picking, pumpkin spiced lattes -- or really pumpkin spiced anything and dont forget all those delicious soups and stews that I have been pining over, yet too chicken to turn the stove over for months. No matter how much I love the changing of the seasons it always takes me a couple of days to mourn the end of summer fun. So here you have it, one of those last ditch efforts to enjoy my summer flavors.



The best part of this salad is the hidden “surprise” of mashed potatoes laying at the bottom of the bowl. I know it sounds crazy but I have always loved adding a bit of unexpected carb to my salads – Hello turkey César salad and mashed potatoes from Festival @ JMU—you may have accounted for 50% of my college diet. Mixing these two delicious things together just makes sense in my mind so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

2 small filets
Marinade:
¼ C balsamic vinegar
¼ C good red wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
S&P
1 qt tomatoes (I used grape and cherry tomatoes)
 ½ C blue cheese (or any other soft cheese of choice)
1 Corn on the cob (ours was a leftover from dinner the night before)
1 box of ½ and ½ spring mix, baby spinach mix or your favorite baby lettuce mixture.
S&P
EVOO
Herbed Mashed Potatoes
4 medium potatoes, I used red
1 C chopped fresh herbs of choice (basil, dill, parsley and chives)
1 tbs butter
2 tbs Greek yogurt
S&P

Marinade the steaks for 30 minutes. While the meat is marinating boil the potatoes and mash with other ingredients until thick and creamy. Skewer tomatoes and drizzle with EVOO and season with S&P.  Grill steaks and tomatoes until your steaks have reached your desired temperature. The tomatoes should be charred when removed from the grill. Put a generous portion of potatoes in the center of your serving dish. Sprinkle the greens around the potatoes and then add equal portions of steak and tomatoes to each dish. Sprinkle cheese and corn—cut off the cob over the salads and serve with your favorite dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment