Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sloppy Joe, you float my BOAT


This twist on one of America's favorite guilty pleasure meals one of my favorite easy meals to make. Sloppy Joe totally takes me back to my childhood, not because we had it all the time, but because it was the type of meal that I wanted all the time. As a slightly OCD parent now, that super delicious, sweet and savory meal that just dripped its way out of the bun and all the way down your hands makes me want to panic. The amount of mess that little B can create with any meal named “sloppy” would surely be outrageous so I really needed a new strategy when serving up this type of meal.
These BBQ boats are the perfect solution to my parent problems. They are quick, easy and tasty, they are packed with delicious and healthy ingredients and they are super fun to assemble and eat. We totally love them in our family and bonus… they are super easy to pack as a lunch item cold for the next day.

1 lb ground turkey
2 C BBQ sauce
1 small can of tomato sauce
½ small onion, chopped
1 C chopped spinach
1 C chopped veggies of choice, (I have used squash, tomatoes, carrots and/or peppers)
2 containers of premade biscuits (I love the Immaculate Baking Co ones) https://www.immaculatebaking.com/products.php?id=4
Shredded cheddar cheese **Optional
Makes: 14 boats

Brown meat and onion in a pan over medium heat.  Add other ingredients and cook until the meat is cooked through and the veggies are soft. Line muffin tins with the biscuits by flattening them out and pressing them into the edges of each tin. Fill each biscuit holder with a heaping pile of the Sloppy Joe mixture and then bake according to the packaging or until the biscuits are browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle shredded cheese over the meat, return the pan into the oven until cheese has melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment