Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lamb and Orange Tagine

Lamb and Orange Tagine
I got a tagine for Christmas... it is months later and I am finally getting to posting about my first trial run but I promise that the post is worth the wait. For those of you who don’t know what a tagine is, its the Moroccan version of a dutch oven or slow cooker. The “hood” or top of the pan is a cone shape and holds moisture in ensuring a super moist and tender bite. I had seen people cook with them before but had never tried it myself so I got really into the research before I gave it a try. I bookmarked several recipes, read up on my Moroccan spices and learned everything I could about how to use this new contraption. The result was awesome, the good thing about this dish is that you can achieve almost the same result in a dutch oven or any other oven safe saute pan with a lid so anyone can give it a try.

2 lbs of boneless lamb
2 tbs EVOO
2 c sliced onion
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp coriander
1 tsp crushed red pepper
¼ tsp ground cardamom
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cinnamon stick
2 c chicken broth
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ c orange segments
½ c golden raisins
3 c whole wheat couscous
¼ c chopped cilantro
2 tbs slivered almonds

Rub a seasoned tagine (or dutch oven) with EVOO and heat. Add lamb and cook for 5 min until browned. Set lamb aside. Heat EVOO and onion over medium-high heat and saute until cooked through. Add ginger through cinnamon stick stirring to combine. Return lamb to pan, stir in broth and salt. Bring to a boil and cover and let it simmer for 1.5 hours stirring occasionally. Uncover and stir frequently for 30 min . Add oranges and raisins genitally stirring to combine, cook for an additional 5 min. Place ½ cup of couscous in each bowl and top with lamb stew. Sprinkle with cilantro and almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment