Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

This dish originally started as a pizza that was to die for (thank you again Pupatella) then I saw a recipe with a similar flavor profile in Cooks Illustrated and just knew I had to give it a try. I am so glad I did. The dish was super easy, flavorful and delicious. I love the balance of the bitter veggies against the heat of the pepper. The sausage provides just enough fat to keep the dish satisfying. If you are looking for a lower calorie version try it with turkey sausage. 
Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe


I made this dish a couple of weeks ago and had not gotten around to posting about it. Then just this week I read a healthy eating, healthy kids article by Emeril and found an almost identical recipe using broccoli instead of the rabe which has a lot more of a bite to it. If you have a pickier eater in your house try steaming some extra broccoli on the side and tossing some of the pasta with that instead. All in all I think this dish is awesome and I can't wait to make it again.

1 lb pasta, usually orecchiette is used but I had shells on hand
4 tbs EVOO
1 tbs lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1.5 C chicken stock
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 bunch of broccoli rabe
4 tbs butter, cut into pieces
1 c Parmesan
salt and pepper

The original recipe also calls for anchovy fillets which would bring great flavor to the dish but I just cant stand looking at those little buggers so I always omit them.

In a small bowl, combine 1 tbs EVOO, lemon and 1 tsp garlic and set aside. Boil pasta until al dente, reserve one cup of the cooking water, drain pasta and return to the pot. While pasta is cooking, heat EVOO in a skillet and add sausage and stir until browned and cooked through (2-4) min. Transfer sausage with a slotted spoon to another plate and leave rendered fat in the pan. Add remaining oil, remaining garlic and pepper flakes to the pan stirring often until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Increase the heat to high and add half the broccoli rabe; cook, stirring often for about a minute. Add remaining broccoli rabe and ½ tsp of salt; cook, stiring often, until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment