Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Grilled BBQ Chicken Wedge Salad

Grilled lettuce to me has always been something I thought would be like soggy salad something I absolutely detest so I was beyond skeptical about trying this out. I had seen a recipe for a wedge salad with BBQ chicken and I just felt like grilling the lettuce would take it the extra mile. I did happen to buy extra lettuce as a back up plan.

Verdict: absolutely delicious. Not only was the salad an explosion of flavors the grilled lettuce was spectacular. I might just grill my romaine from now on. While I basically followed a basic wedge salad recipe from start to finish I will say that I had to add my couple extra steps of flare per usual.This salad was so full of flavor that it needed no dressing at all. Next time I might add a couple rings of grilled red onion to the mix just to kick it up a notch.

2 lbs chicken tenders
1 bottle of BBQ sauce
2 heads of romaine lettuce
blue cheese crumbles
bacon, crumbled (1 strip per salad)
1 C pecans, toasted
1 pint of cherry tomatoes, chopped
EVOO


Marinate the chicken tenders in your favorite BBQ sauce. I let mine sit in the fridge for a full day while I was out. Cook bacon and allow to cool. Cut rinsed romaine heads in half and drizzle EVOO over the flat half (this is the side you will place on the grill.) Grill the chicken and then the romaine. The romaine should be on the on for 3-5 minutes total. Quickly toast the pecans for 1 minute, just long enough to get the oils to come to the surface. Place a 1/2 head of lettuce on each plate, arrange 2-3 tenders on each salad and then sprinkle with tomatoes, nuts, cheese and bacon. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment