Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Easy Cheesy Squash Bake Up-Date


Everyone has been raving about the easy cheesy zucchini bake recipe on Pinterest lately. While I do think it is tasty and delicious I found myself wishing it was more of a one dish wonder so that I could serve it as an entrée.

My solution to this conundrum was to add a hearty amount of Italian chicken sausage to pump up the protein while not going overboard with fat. The experiment went so well that I might try it next time with pulled rotisserie chicken. Little B loved it and assured us all he was  eating a bowl of pizza and 703 Daddy was even willing to give it a second try so I will definitely be making this one again. The original recipe I used was from the blog Kalyn’s Kitchen and has been adapted by my family to fit  our specific tastes so here we go.

2-4 summer squash of any variety, zucchini, yellow squash, pan patty cut into slices.
1 C fresh basil, chopped
2 T green onions, chopped
½ tsp Italian seasoning
1 C shredded cheese, I used an Italian blend
½ C grated Parmesan
1 C chopped tomatoes
2 mild Italian chicken sausages
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 C white wine

Take the sausage out of the casing and cook it in a pan with garlic, white wine and Italian seasoning until fully cooked. Add the squash, and tomatoes and continue to cook until everything looks like it is cooked through. Transfer to a baking dish and toss with the fresh basil, onions, parmesan and ½ the shredded cheese. Use the rest of the cheese to top the casserole and bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment