Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Chick fil-Gay my Homestyle Way


There has been much talk about a certain chicken franchise as of late. I will say that while I love their chicken, their fries, their lemonade and of course their family friendly dining atmosphere I have to say that I personally don’t enjoy their politics much. I am all for rights and that is all I am going to say about that.

Now that I am off my soap box I have to say that I have been reading about the homemade version of these sandwiches for months now. Since our family is no longer dining at the establishment mentioned above I decided I really needed to try these recipes out. My dear friend Amber, who writes the awesome blog Mom Machine swore up and down in her recent post that these recipes were no joke and she was right. After attempting her version, and one found on the Washington Green Grocer blog I have decided while they are not exactly up to par they definitely do the trick. I found that the extra time really helps to add flavor to the chicken so it is definitely worth throwing the breasts in there the night before. I also found that pounding out the breasts helped to uniformly (and quickly) cook the chicken and finally, that I LOVE coconut oil which I had never used before and always wanted to try.
No matter what your politics are, this homemade version of “the” chicken sandwich is absolutely delicious and totally worth the at home preparation time.

Chick Fil-Gay My Homestyle Way (adapted from Mom-Machine and Washington Green Grocer blog)

2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut in half (total of 4 sandwiches)
1 Jar of pickle brine
1 C flour
1 tbs powder sugar
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground mustard
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp celery salt
¼ tsp dried basil
Spicy Chicken Option: ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
5 tbs Coconut oil which is a healthy oil that cooks well at high temps so is perfect for frying.
2 eggs
¼ C milk
Dinner rolls, buttered
Optional toppings: pickles, lettuce, tomato

Pound out each breast until they are uniformly thick. Cut in half and then place in pickle brine for anywhere from an hour to overnight (my suggestion is overnight because the brine totally adds a ton of flavor). When you are ready to cook, combine dry ingredients in a flat bowl. Whisk eggs and milk together in another bowl. Carefully dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, the egg mixture and then the flour mixture again. Melt coconut oil in a skillet and sauté chicken pieces over medium until both sides of the chicken is golden brown and the inside loses all hints of pink. Butter your dinner rolls and serve chicken with your choice of toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment