Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Zucchini Fries


Oh what a world. These fries are absolutely delicious and yet they are potato free and baked?? How is this possible? I was really skeptical about the idea of a veggie fry since I love potatoes but since I have had a plethora of summer squash around thanks to my CSA I thought they would be worth a try. I paired these beauties with my super delicious Greek chicken burger recipe that I posted last week and they were a huge hit!

The panko breading adds just the perfect amount of crunch and my dill dip was the perfect condiment to serve along with them. These fries are my adaptation from an Oprah recipe I found. They were a bit more labor intensive than I thought they would be since you had to batter each piece separately but they were so delicious that I will definitely be making them again with some of my extra squash from my CSA crate. For my zucchini fries I used a traditional green and one yellow zucchini.

1 ½ lbs of zucchini, cut into fry sized pieces
1 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp of salt
¾ tsp of pepper
Cayenne pepper, a dash (for extra heat)
½ tsp cumin
3 large eggs, scrambled
2 C panko bread crumbs ( or more if needed)
¾ C parmesan, grated
1 Tbs of fresh dill, chopped

Preheat the oven to 425. Arrange three bowls, one with flour and the next four items (seasoning), one with eggs and the final one with panko, parmesan and dill. Working in small batches, dip zucchini in flour, then egg then panko. Shake the access flour off and then allow the extra egg to drip off before putting the vegetables in the next bowl. Arrange zucchini on a tray being sure that they are not too close together. Bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan and then bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. The dipping sauce I used was a mix of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic salt, pepper and dill mixed to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment